Sunday, February 9, 2014

Goes Somewhere! Does Something!

Well, it's been almost a year.

The point of keeping this blog was to use it as a teaching tool; when I teach, I also learn, and it reinforces what I've learned. Basically, I was hoping to simultaneously provide a service, as well as bolster my own programming and engineering skills.

Unfortunately, when I run across ideas I really really want to blog about, I tend to do due research, to make sure I'm getting things right. On the upside, this research often reinforces my knowledge and tends to validate what I'm about to teach. Which is nice. On the downside, in the course of my research, I invariably find that someone has already said what I wanted to say, but better. Or they've done something neat I was thinking about doing, but they've already gone and -done- it while I'm just thinking about how to get it in a neat blog format.

So, now that nobody reads this blog anymore, I feel it's safe to shift gears. I'm still going to go through the motions of making my usual computer science and engineering related blogs, but from now on, I'm going to make a brief blog post that'll be loaded with links to these other resources I've been finding. That way everyone can benefit from my infovore tendencies. You're welcome.

However, that doesn't really make for a steady stream of new blog updates. So, now, I'm going to shift the gears of the blog ( again ). This time I'm going to try to post at least once a week on my progress in world-building a science fiction universe I've thought about on again and off again for over a decade now. Nothing will ever come of it, but it'll be nice to have all the information on my little universe in one easy to search place.

The format will be simple. I'm going to spend a few weeks getting the bare bones framework of the universe built, and talk about stuff in sci-fi that I like to talk about. Once I've built up some steam, I plan on throwing in short stories that take place in this universe.

I make no apologies in advance. I'm not a writer by trade, I'm a programmer. Which is like writing, but you're not telling stories, you're telling a very literal-minded temperamental machine what to do. So I guess it's more like being a parent. Which is not like being a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment